Study of Physico-chemical parameters of drinking and waste waters in Central Mountains in WadiMaytum, Ieb District , Yemen.
In the present study an attempt has been made to know the concentration of different physico-chemical and microbiological parameters in drinking/waste water samples collected from various wells of WadiMaytum, Ieb District, Yemen. Temperature, pH , EC, TDS, Total hardness, Turbidity, alkalinity, BOD,COD,Total coliforms, Faecal streptococci, sodium, magnesium, iron, calcium, lead, chromium, cadmium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloride, sulphate,nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and bicarbonate were assessed . The concentration levels of different parameters in the study samples are summarized , discussed and compared with drinking/waste water quality standards given by the WHO (1994;2006) APHA (2005)and SLS(1983) Standards. In our study, it was found that EC, TDS, TH, Alkalinity, COD, sodium, magnesium (except in closed well) , calcium and lead values were above permissible limit for drinking water whereas pH, turbidity, chlorine, sulphate, nitrates , nitrites, ammonia , iron, manganese, nickel (except in B and C wells), chromium, cadmium and copper values were within the permissible limit.
- Adelekan BA (2010). Water quality of domestic wells in typical African communities. A case study from Nigeria. International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering 2(6):137-147.
- AL-ShargabiWA, Ghanem,NM (2015).Environmental contaminants and their impact on some of ground water quality, in Taiz, Yemen: study evaluation. American Journal of Bioscience 3(2):34-40.
- APHA (American Public Health Association) (2005). Standard methods for the examination of water and waste waters. 21st Edition, Washington,DC.
- Chang H. (2008). Spatial analysis of water quality trends in the Han River basin, South Korea. Water Research 42(31):3285-3304.
- Collins CH , Partricia M Lyne (1976). Laboratory Techniques Series : Microbiological Methods. Boston Buffer Worths, London, P. 521.
- Kinsiclouvnon G., Edorh PA, Guedenon P, Deguenon Y, Koumolou L., Montecho S, Loko F., Boko M. (2013). Environmental risk factors and bacteriological aspect of drinking water in lake-side town of So-Ava in Benin. Research Journal of Environmental and Earth Sciences 5(7): 359-369.
- Subba R.C., Subba R.N.V. (1995). Ground water quality in residential colony. Ind.J.Environ.Hlth, 37(4):295-300.
- WHO (1994). Guideline for drinking water quality, Geneva.
- WHO (2006). A compendium of standards for wastewater reuse in the eastern Mediterranean region.
- Zazouli, MA , Bandpei AM, Mirbagheir SA, Esfandyari Y (2013). Survey on monthly variations of water quality in the Tajan River (Sari, Iran). African Journal of Biotechnology. 12(25): 3984-3991.