The extent of trace metals pollution in fruit dates palm and associated soil of Zilfi Province, Saudi Arabia.
Fruits and vegetables are edible plant products that are good for health, some trace elements concentration (Cu, Hg, Mn, Ni, Pb, and V) which may be found as pollutants in fruit dates palm and agricultural soils at Zilfi Province were determined by using ICP-MS spectrophotometer. The concentrations in mg/kg of the elements under study in agricultural soil were found ranged as follows: Cu(5.8-16.6), Hg(1.4-3), Mn (55.9-506.9), Ni(3.6-48.1), Pb(7.2-184.4), V(82.6-136.5). Four samples (5,6.10 and 11) have been contaminated with lead when we compare these values with the maximum allowable limits for WHO for Pb(100mg/kg). The concentrations in mg/kg of the elements under study in date palm fruit were found, ranged as follows: Cu (1.8-5.3), Hg (0.17-1.4), Mn (2.4-12.6), Ni (0.75-7.6), Pb (1.2-24.7), and V (11.6-17.3). All date samples were found to be contaminated with Mn element except sample (5). The concentrations of Nickel and Lead in all date palm fruits samples show high contamination compared to WHO/FAO limits for these elements. There have been highly pollution of soil and dates grown in the Zilfi Province elements by lead, but the pollution by mercury is only found in dates samples.
- Abu-Rekab Z. A., and El-Kerdany A.Y. (2009). Evaluation of Sewy Date palm Cultivar Irrigated by both Treated waste Water and Nile Water. 4th Conference on Recent Technologies in Agriculture, 670-683.
- Ahmed Y., and Ahmed S. (2004) Mineral Ion Content of the Seeds of Six Cultivars of Bahraini Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera)., J.Agric. Food. Chem. 52,6522-6525.
- Aleksand D. (2008). The Impact of Nickel on Human Health. H. J. Elementol., 13(4), 685-696.
- Al-Gboori B., and Krepl V. (2010). Importance of Dates Palms as a Source of Nutrition. Agricultura Tropica Et Subtropica, 43 (4),341-347.
- Alina K. (2011).Trace elements in soils and plants. 4th ed.p. cm.Includes bibliographical references and index.ISBN 978-1-4200-9368-1 (hardback) pp,173.
- Al-shahib W., and Marshal R. ( 2003 ). The fruit of the date palm: its possible use as the best food for the future. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr.54(4),247–259.
- Arora M., Bala R., Shweta R., Anchal R., Barinder K., and Neeraj M. (2008). Heavy metal accumulation in vegetables irrigated with water from different sources. Food Chem., 111,811-815.
- Babiker M., Rashid A., Aziz A., Heikal M., Yusup S., and Abakar M. (2013). Pyrolysis Characteristics of Phoenix Dactylifera Date Palm Seeds Using Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA). Intern. J. of Environ. Sci. and Devel., 4(5), 521—524.
- Ataabadi M.and Najafi P. (2012). Assessment of washing procedure for determination some of the airborne metal concentrations. Afr. J. of Biotech. 11(19), 4391 4395.
- Chiroma T., Ebewele R.andHymore F. (2014). Comparative Assessment of Heavy Metals Levels in Soils, Vegetables and Urban Grey Waste Water Used for Irrigation inYola and Kano.Int. Ref. J. of Eng.and Sci(IRJES),3(2), 1-9.
- Chojnacha K., Chojnacki H., Gorecka H., and Gorecki H. (2005). Bioavailability of heavy metals from polluted soils to plants. Sci. Total Environ., 333,175-182.
- Chen Y., Wang C., and Wang Z. (2005). Residues and source identification of persistent organic pollutants in farmland soils irrigated by effluents from biological treatment plants. Environ. Intern., 31,77-783.
- Halim A. (2013). Heavy Metals in Vegetables Irrigated with Waste Waters in Gazianep, Turkey: A Review of Causes and Potential for Human Health Risks. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin,22(1),146-151.
- Jassir M., Shaker A. and Khaliq M. (2005). Deposition of heavy metals on green leafy vegetables sold on roadsides of Riyadh city, Saudi Arabia. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxico., 75,1020-1027.
- Jorhem L., and Sundstroem B. (1993). Levels of lead, cadmium, zinc, copper, nickel, chromium, manganese and cobalt in foods on the Swedish market, 1983-1990. J. Food Comp. Anal. 6,223-241.
- Kelepertziz E. (2014) Accumulation of Heavy Metals in Agricultural Soils from Argolida Basin, Peloponnese Greece.Geoderma 221-222,82-90
- Khairia T., Zalifah M., Yin Y., and. Aminah A(2004). The uptake of heavy metals by fruit type vegetables grown in selected agricultural areas. Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 7,1438-1442.
- Marzouk H.and Kassem H. (2011). Improving fruit quality, nutritional value, and yield of Zaghloul dates by the application of organic and/or mineral fertilizers. Scientia Horticulturae 127, 24.
- Mico C., Peris J., Sánchez J., and Recatalá L. (2006). The heavy metal content of agricultural soils in a Mediterranean semiarid area: the Segura River Valley (Alicante, Spain).Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 4(4) 363-372.
- Milacic R., and Kralj B. (2003). Determination of Zn, Cu, Cd, Pb, Ni and Cr in some Slovenian Food stuff. Euro. Food Res. Technol., 217,211-214.
- Mohammadzai I., Shah Z, Khan H., and Khan S. (2010). Mineral Composition of Date. Palm Fruit and Pit by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry. J.Chem.Soc Pak., 32(1), 87-90.
- Mohebi A. (2010). Growth And Heavy Metals Uptake By Date palm Grown in Mono-And Dual Culture In Heavy Metals contaminated Soil. Wor. Appl. Sci. J. 15 (3), 429-435.
- Mohsen and Mohsen (2013).Investigation of metals accumulation in some vegetables irrigated with wastewater in Shahre Rey-Iran and toxicological implications.American-Eurasian J. of Agric. and Environ.SCI.,4(1):86-92.
- Muchuweti M., Birkett J., Chinyanga E., Zvauya R., Scrimshah M., and Lester J. (2006).The heavy metal content of vegetables irrigated with a mixture of wastewater and sewage sludge in Zimbabwe, implications for human health. Agri. Ecosys. Environ., 1129, 41-48.
- Mumzuroglu O., Karatas F., and Geckil H. (2003). The vitamin and selenium contents of apricot fruit of different varieties cultivated in different geographical regions. Food Chem. 83,205-212.
- Naveed N., Batool A., Rehman F. and Hameed U. (2010). Leaves of roadside plants as a bioindicator of traffic-related lead pollution during different seasons in Sargodha, Pakistan. Afri. J. of Envir. Sci. and Techn. 4(11),770-774).
- Nedelescu M., Balalu C., Baconi D., Jula M., Morar D.and Gligor A. (2015). Preliminary assessment of heavy metals content of vegetables grown in industrial areas in Romania.Farmacia,63(2) 296-300.
- Ogbonnaa P., Odukaesiemea C., and Silvab J. (2013). Distribution of heavy metals in soil and accumulation in plants at an agricultural area of Umudike, Nigeria. Chem. and Ecol.,29( 7), 595-603.
- Ogunkunle A., Bello O.and Ojofeitimi O. (2014). Determination of Heavy Metal Contamination of Street-Vended Fruits and vegetables in Lagos State, Nigeria. Intrer. Food Res. J. 21(5), 1725-1730.
- Rahman S., Khanam D., Adyel T., Islam M., Ahsan M.and Akbor M. (2012). Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination of Agricultural Soil around Dhaka Export Processing Zone (DEPZ), Bangladesh: Implication of Seasonal Variation and Indices, Appl. Sci., 2,584-601.
- Raikwar M., Kumar P., Singh M.and Singh A. (2008).Toxic effect of heavy metals in lifestock health. Veterinary World.1(1), 28-30.
Saracoglu S., Tuzen D., Mendil M., Soylak L.,
Elci L., and Dogan M. (2004). The heavy metal content of hard biscuits produced in Turkey. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 73,264-269.
- Singh K., Mohan D., Sinha S., and Dalwani R. (2004). Impact assessment of treated/untreated wastewater toxicants discharged by sewage treatment plants on health, agricultural and environmental quality in the wastewater disposal areas. Chemosphere, 55,227-255.
- Simona D., Adriana C., Maximiliana C., Manfred A. and vanadium A. (2009). In Medicinal Plants: New Data On The Occurence Of An Element Both Essential And Toxic To Plants And Man. Analele Universitii din Oradea, Fascicula Biologie, Tom. XVI / 2, pp. 5-10.
- Szydłowska-Czerniak A., Trokowski K., Karlovits G.and Szłyk E. (2013). Spectroscopic Determination of Metals in Palm Oils from Different Stages of the - --Technological Process. J. Agric. Food Chem., 61 (9) 2276–2283.
-Trabzuni D., Ahmed S., and Abu-Tarboush H. (2014) Food and Nutrition Sciences, 5,1379-1386.
- Tuzen M. (2003).Determination of Heavy Metals in Fish samples of the Middame Lakes Black Sea (Turkey ) by Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry. Food Chem.,80,119-113.
- Williams J. and Pillay E. (2011). Metals, Metalloids, and Toxicity in Date Palms: Potential Environmental Impact. J. of Envi.l Pro. ,2, 592-600.
- Yassine El., Sophie D., Mejdi J., Gwénaelle T.and Rachid S.(2012). Measurement of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants during Combustion of Date Palm Wastes for Energy Recovery. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 12, 814–825.
- Uddin A. J. (2010). Heavy metal contamination in water, soil, and vegetables of the industrial areas in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Environ Monit Assess. 166,347–357.