The Effect of Storage andWater Rising of Microbial Contamination of Carrots and Cucumbers.
In this work the Effect of storage and water rinsing in reducing the microbial contamination of carrots and Cucumbers and the time of spoilage was evaluated. In storage experiment done , washed and unwashed of carrots and cucumbers samples were stored at room and refrigerator temperatures.Washing with running tap water resulted in big reduction of the microbial load of carrots and cucumbers. The reduction ranged between 85 – 99 % for the total bacterial count, 92 % for moulds, and between 74 and 90 % for coliform bacteria. Unwashed samples and samples stored at room temperature spoiled more quickly than the washed samples and the sample stored in the refrigerator. In general carrots samples stored at room temperature spoiled in six to seven days and those store in the refrigerator spoiled in nine to ten days ,with respect to cucumbers spoilage occurred often six days at room temperature and after seven days in the refrigerator.From this experiment we found that carrots was more resistant to spoilage than the cucumbers. Carrots and cucumbers spoilage was eminent when the microbial load reached about 106 ????????????/????.It was concluded that, although the thorough cleaning of salad Carrots and Cucumbers with water and their storage in refrigerator would greatly reduce their microbial load, elimination of all microbial would not be achieved.
- Agricultural Marketing services (1994). How to by fresh vegetables . Home and Garden Bulletin No. 143.
- Barkai - golan R. and N.paster(2008). Mouldy fruits and vegetables as a source of mycotoxins :part 1. World Mycotoxin Journal . May 2008; 1(2):147-159. Cowan, S.T. and
- Steel k. (1974). Mannal for the Identification of Medical Bacteria. 2nd ed. Pp.46 – 92 CombridgeUnversity Press, London, England.
- Das A shish ,Isma U Hossain ,EleasJahed, Md. BakhatirLijon, Ripon Kumar and M.M.R Khalill (2016). EfficAcy of Different washing protocolslnReaducing Bacterial load in common vegetabels sold in Dhaka city 3(6)-149-155 European Journal of Biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences.
- Denis N,Zhang H, Leroux A ,Trudel R, Bietlot H, Prevalence and trends of bacterialcontamination in fresh fruits and vegetables sold at retail in Canada . Food control . 2016;67:225 – 234 dio:1016/j. Food cont.2016.02.047.
- Eraky MA ,Rashed SM, Nasr MF, EL-Hamshary AMS ,EL-Ghannam AS. Parasititic contamination of commonly consumed fresh leafy vegetables in Benha . Egypt . J parasitol Res .2014;2014:1-7. Doi:10-1155/2014/613960. Eni Angela Oba igeli, IbukunoluwaAdesuwaOunusiDluwawemitan and Oranusi U. Solomon (2010). Microbial quality of fruits and vegetables sold in sangoota ,Nigeria ,African jorual of food science Vol.4(5). PP.291-295.
- Gibberd ,M.R ,Turner ,N.C. and Storey, R.(2002).Inflounce of saline irrigation, on grooth, ion accumulaion and partitioning and leaf gas exchange of carrot. J. of Bota,90(6):715-724.
- Harrigan, W.F. and MacCanc, M.E. (1976). Laboratory Methods in Microbiology. Pp. 257 – 303 – Academic Press, London and New York.
- Khan MR ,Salah ML ,Kibria AHMG .A bacteriological profile of salad vegetables in Bangladesh with special refenence to coliforms. Left appl microbial . 1992;14(3) :88-90. doi:10.1111/j.1472765x.1992.tb00655.x.
- Maffei DF ,AlvarengaVO,Sant’Ana As, Franco BDGM.Assessing the effect of washing practices employed in Brazilian processing plants on the quality of ready –to- eat vegetables – Food SCiTechnoCLEB 2016; 69: 474-481-doi: 10-1016/j . Lwt. 2016.02.001.
- Nada abdelwahedsuleiman (2010), Bacteriological contamination of salad vegetables and the effect of biological sanitizer (EM) on the contaminants. Thesis Graduate college-University of Khartoum –Khartoum,Sudan.
- Nonnecke , I.L. (1989). Vegetables production . Van Nostrand Reinhold. New york ,NY.p.571.
- Pagadala S ,Marine SC, Micallef SA ,Wang F ,Pahl DM, Melendez MV, Kline WL , Oni RA , Walsh Cs Everts Kl ,Buchanan RL. Assessment of region, farming system, irrigation source and sampling time as food safety risk factors for tomatoes .Int J food
- Microbiol .2015; 196:98-108. boi :10-1016/j.- igfood micro-2014.12.005.
- Phillips , R. and Rix, M. (1993). The random house book of vegetables. Random house. New york.
- RahmanJ.TalukderALhussain F , Mahmoud S, Islam Sham suzzoha MA . Detection of cryptosporediumoocyts in commonly consumed fresh salad vegetables AM J microbial Res .2014; 2 (6) :224-226. doi: 10.12691/1mjr-2-6-9.
- Said DES. Detection parasites in commonly consumed raw vegetables. Alex j med .(2012):48(4):345-352.doi:10:116 /J. ajme. 2012.05.005.
- Vince, F., Cindy ,T., carl, R and jerry ,w. (2009). Vegetable crop management-carrots.
- Weldegina D., MuletaD. Bacteriological contaminants of some fresh vegetables irrigated with Awetu River Jimma Town, South western Ethiopin. Adf Biol. 2016 ; 2016: 11 , doi: 10-1155/2016/1526764.
- Waqialla ,S.M.A.( 2006) .M.Sc. Thesis in microbial contamination of fresh salad vegetables in Khartoum State market . University of Khartoum.